Monday, November 15, 2010

Guest Post - Welcome Susan Lemons!

My first guest this week is Susan Lemons, author of Homepreschool and Beyond. Susan, a homeschool mother of four, brings to you a wealth of information on homeschooling in the early years with a focus on relationship, routine, readiness, and reading aloud. Today she delivers a practical dose of wisdom on maintaining balance as Moms. . .

Goals for the Balanced Mom ~

This is a list of goals I am going to post on my fridge this year. I hope they will help me become a more balanced mom. Maybe they'll help you, too.

1. Relationships come first. I'm going to work on building stronger relationships between my children and the Lord; myself and the Lord; my children and myself, as well as between siblings. (Make the main thing the main thing.)

2. Character: I'm going to help my children develop Godly character and habits through example, training, reading, and discussion. Specific goals: I want to emphasize loving others, being considerate of others (the Golden Rule), working cheerfully, and consistent obedience.

3. Routine: Settling in to a simple daily routine of what comes next will help me accomplish my daily goals and keep me sane. I'm going to work at being more consistent and sticking to all my routines this year, including my homemaking routines.

4. Readiness: I am going to observe my children carefully, watching for signs of readiness and emerging skills/abilities. I want to encourage without pushing.

5. Reading aloud: This year I want to double the amount of time we spend reading aloud. We are going to read chapter books after lunch, and before bed. Books on my reading list: Charlotte's Web, Mouse and the Motorcycle, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, A House Inside Out, Mr. Popper's Penguins, My Father's Dragon, Misty of Chincoteague, Encyclopedia Brown, various animal books written by Thorton Burgess, Kildee House, and more.

6. The fun stuff: This year I want to make sure to allow enough time for play, art, music, science play/experiments, and the other "fun stuff". My goals are to provide art for my children at least two days a week, learning games three days a week, and music five days a week.

7. Play: I'm going to make sure my children get plenty of outside play---everyday, if possible. I'll encourage their play by playing with them and by providing play props (cardboard boxes to make a city, sidewalk chalk, bouncy balls, jump ropes, etc.)

8. Nature: I’m going to spend more time outside doing nature study with my kids. We'll start in our own backyard with the book, One Small Square: Backyard, and then move out from there.

9. Academic goals: Our general academic goals include continuing to grow a simple a base of knowledge about the world; reviewing past concepts learned; developing a large vocabulary; lengthening their attention spans, and mastering the three R’s.

10. Friday School: Friday school is going to be special and different from the other days of the week at our house. Fridays are set aside for life skills (housework), field trips, park days, nature walks, messy art projects, socializing (having friends over to play or do school projects together), and so on.

11. Eternal perspective: I aim to keep an eternal perspective, remembering that there is NOTHING more important I could be doing with my time right now than staying at home and teaching my children. I will remind myself that what I am doing has eternal implications.

If the Lord tarries, our "daily grind" may have implications for hundreds of years to come. Even if the Lord comes back soon (which I fully expect), our lives will have influenced other eternal souls (our children.) May He find our lives pleasing to Him. May He see that our children know Him. I hope to be able to stand before the Lord someday, unashamed of what I have taught my children--through word and through deed.

© 2010 Susan Lemons all rights reserved. Used with permission. You can read and learn more by visiting Susan at her blog Homepreschool and Beyond.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails