Friday, May 14, 2010

Open the Eyes of My Heart

"Hardness of heart evidences itself by light views of sin; partial acknowledgment and confession of it; pride and conceit; ingratitude; unconcern about the word and ordinances of God; inattention to divine providences; stifling convictions of conscience; shunning reproof; presumption, and general ignorance of divine things."
(source: http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=heart)

Ouch! Isn't that a powerful statement? As much as I like a good debate, I couldn't find any room for one here. This was recently shared by someone on one of my groups, and I was immediately driven to reflection and prayer. . .Was God speaking to me? . . .be careful what you ask :)

". . .we have a major heart problem against which we will have to struggle our entire lives. . .Our heart  is false - it tricks or deceives us into thinking that our desires are pure, that we want what we want because it is good and God approves. Every man's way seems right in his own eyes. . .even when it leads to death. Our heart trouble is hereditary: it had its origin at the fall. "


"Even though believers have been given a new heart, so our thoughts and desires are changed, we still struggle with the remnants of our old nature. Every day we have choose whom we will love most: God or ourselves (and the gods we create). The difficulty of these choices is compounded because our hearts deceive us into thinking that acting in some sinful way is the best or perhaps the godliest course of action."

(excerpts from: Idols of the Heart - Elyse Fitzpatrick) 

"The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it?" Jeremiah 17:9

I know from personal experience that when my heart is not in the right place, it contributes to the sins outlined above and taints my thoughts and words - creating a divide that hinders both my spiritual growth and relationships.

It is an age old battle that has the potential to either move one forward with God's Grace, or to stop one cold amidst a puddle of guilt, regret, and regression.

I realized long ago that in my flesh I will never be "good enough" and that my actions as a Christian will always come under judgment and scrutiny by someone, somewhere - no matter how hard I strive. It is *my effort* instead of *my reliance on God* that can easily misguide me. Thankfully, I know that there is but one judge that matters and it is my heart's desire to be right with Him - to accept that however flawed a human I may be here on earth, I have a divine appointment with a divine Savior that keeps me looking up and pressing on! He knows my heart full well.

Hardened and wayward hearts are softened and renewed with prayer, mercy, forgiveness, and the strength and promises of God's Word!

Each day, I choose to accept God's Grace and continually plow forward. May He cultivate a humility in me that will keep open the eyes of my heart!
 
"And be ye renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Ephesians 4:23-24

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails